Saturday, July 16, 2011

Or maybe I'm left-libertarian

Hyphenated Liberty

In deciding to start this blog I did a much more in-depth political quiz by the Political Compass.  This test scored me at -1.12 on the Economic Left/Right scale and -3.69 on the Social Libertarian/Authoritarian scale.  That makes me a slightly left-of-centre libertarian.

Now, I'm only vaguely aware of left-libertarianism, and I admit to being put-off by the tag of 'leftist', but in scratching the surface of this philosophy I admit that I'm attracted by the concept of shared national natural resources that would be taxed for the common good.  It seems to solve some uncomfortable aspects of Locke establishing property rights by mixing labour with natural resources in a free-for-all grabfest.  It also provides monies for putting in place key infrastructure that makes exploiting our natural resources practical and profitable... I'll be looking into this some more.

On the Political Compass website they've recently posted (April 2011) a plot of their estimates of where the Canadian political parties sit in the graph.  I've added my results to their plot (see below) and the most depressing thing is how far apart the Conservatives are (who I tend to vote for) from me... scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment